Thursday, June 28, 2007

Window of Time

Here is the first entry since adding all my preivous blogs from the AOL journal.

All these collaged pieces have not used the mosaic patterning that I am known for and I have attempted with a few of the new pictures to attempt to use other techniques.




1. 'Old Havana' - June 07 - For Sale - £40

This piece is the first where I have used tissue paper to give some depth to the piece and another type of texture. The title comes from the map that is pasted into the piece and it also uses a lot of thicker pieces of paper from books.





2. 'Icarus of Modern Times' - June 07 - For Sale - £35

This is a follow on from 'Jesus of Modern times' that I constructed last year. I like the fact that this modern day Icarus has glass wings that show the clouds of the sky. This is a painted called the Lament of Icarus by Herbert James Draper and shows him after going to close to the sun and falling from the sky. This pictures I used to have on my desk when I work at Mercury and I used to look at it alot when I was on a difficult call. I love the symbolism of Icarus and what it stands for.




3. 'Rude Beauty' - June 07 - For Sale - £45
This is a piece that I constructed to show just how much the female image is exploited in modern advertising and just how easy it is to sell products with a nice image of the female beauty. Also it seems that to be a topless model is an easy way for girls to make a lot of money in the 21st century and just how many would rather do that, than consider a career in banking.


4. Half Sisters - June 07 - For Sale - £40

My clever idea for this piece was to take the same image slice it into two and then give the impression that it was two different people due to a change in height. Lets hope that it worked.


5. 'Window of Time' - June 07 - For Sale - £35
This is a piece that is mainly constructed from images from home design book. There are also images from a famous clock and of men. All told it is about how short our 'window of time' really is on this planet. So make the most of it!





6. 'Zagros' - June 07 - For Sale - £55
This larger piece is made from torn strips of paper to make the overall picture. Most of the pieces use a the colour yellow and images from Japan. The title comes from Iraq's largest moutain range. I wanted it to look like a space where lots of poster had been pasted and over time they had been torn down to leave this lasting images.




7. 'First 101' - June 07 - For Sale - £45


This started off as a simple collage without much meaning and has ended up as a medition on sex and religion. Which are also a tag team having a fight in life. It is interesting how the religion trys to suppress sex outside of marriage. Priests abstaining, is just one example.





8. 'Community' - June 07 - For Sale - £50
I work as a volunteer in the 'volunteer and community sector', so, I decided to create my own multicultural society. As I believe that there is an increase in the towns and cities that are becoming very multicultural. It will of course end up with a multicultural world.