Thursday, May 24, 2007

5 Painted Pieces



I was given some acrylic paints this Christmas and I thought that I would turn my hand to painting pieces of abstract collage. Each piece is make up from scraps of paper and cut-up circles. Some other pieces of card were used in the constriction and they came from old cigarette packets. The designs were sketched out on plain paper and transfered to the boards. 2-5 pieces were painted on mount board and the first piece 'Alaska' is on hardboard. The colours were determined by the palette of colours that I had in the pack and some were used by mixing them with watercolour paint. Each piece took a couple of days to complete. There is a roughness to each piece that leads to their charm and earthy beauty. Each image contains two complete circles and therefore follows the theme of most of my collaged work. I hope to one day complete some 'constructed' pieces made from work, metal and fabric, but at this time I am very pleased with my experiemental work using paints.