Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Early Work





I started producing collage pieces in April of 2005. Inspired by Russian Icons and the work of German Dadaist, Kurt Schwitters, I decided to turn my hand to producing my first piece of Collage Art, 'Israel/Egypt'. I had been attending an art class that had inspired me to turn to the art of Collage, which had interested me, since reading a biography of Kurt Schwitters. It was on Saturday afternoon in April of 2005 that I sat down with several coloured magazines that I had purchased from a charity shop. Taking a face as the central theme from a carnival scene, I began to collage a mosaic of colour around the face taking different coloured pictures that were torn into scraps. The whole process took over 4 hours and when finished was mounted on painted wood and varnished. This piece has since been sold.


Fisherman. Inspired by the results of the first piece that I produced I continued with the central theme, and the coloured paper moasic signature, as I took this time a fisherman as my central image. This piece was also mounted on painted wood and was infact the first piece that I mounted.













Afghanistan has been called a 'political' piece by many that have seen it. It was my objective to make some comment about America's involvement in Afghanistan. The family faces that stare from where the American flag appears to be taking over the piece. It was interesting to note that the picture of the family that I used did not include an adult male (father) as I believe that they would be off fighting.













Sandwich Maker, was largest piece produced to date and was a chance to develop the style of the mosaic patterning. This so far is the largest central feature piece of work produced by myself.











Water Warrior, was exhibited at the Poets Corner Summer Festival 'Arts and Crafts' Exhibition and has recieved cricital aclaim. It is mounted on very heavy mdf which has also been painted.















Oriental Brown. This piece was a return to the style that I had developed from the first piece (Israel/Egypt) using a girl's face as the central theme. The picture was taken from a larger photograph that showed an oriental (Chinese) girl skiing. I tried to keep the mosaic this time as interesting as possible and used a lot of browns and reds in keeping with the flesh tones of the girl.
Oriental Brown, Afghanistan and Water Warrior were on display at the Pottery House Cafe in Portland Road for over a year.