Thursday, May 24, 2007

Girl with Diver & others









Most of the pieces in this selection were produced to be given to people as either thank yous or Birthday Presents, it was also an attempt to try different styles.
Flowers Of Romance. This piece was only the second time where I had not used a person as the central image. It was also an attempt to see what it would turn out if I used only flowers. The Mosaic around the flowers was described as 'stories within stories' and I was very pleased with that discription. I had returned to the earlier style of using magazine pictures that were very busy.
Jenny. I had taken a series of photographs with my digital camera of Jenny Temme, my niece and when it came to her birthday in June, I made this small collage mounted on wood. It was interesting that someone pointed out the fact was there two pictures of Jenny because she was a Gemini. That thought had not even crossed my mind!
Girl with Diver. In a attempt to speed up the process of making the collages, some which can take over a week. I set myself a challange to produce a piece within the time of a film that was showing on TV. It shows in the finial work that it was rushed as the scraps that make up the mosaic were larger than they had ever been before. I like the use of the greens in this piece, which represent the sea, hence the diver. A friend of mine, Mike Roche said that this picture "does what it says on the tin".
Protest Singer. Little did I know but I was just about to turn a corner and this was one of the last pieces I produced using the style that I had been developing over the last 5 months. The picture is of a Spanish lady singing a protest song about Bullfighting, Which explains the reason for half the picture being very red.
Madonna and Child. This hopefully will be my Christmas Card design for 2005. I like the central image of Mary and Christ as I think that it is important to remember that Christmas is a time to celebrate the birth of Christ. Red is a very warm Christmas colour and that dominates the background.
As I explained with Protest Singer, this was a turning point in the development of my collage style as I was about to go down another exciting avenue.