Thursday, May 24, 2007

More for you to feast your eyes on! Following on from my last journal entry I said that I was moving on from 'filling the space'. This time I have pasted images to make the piece on card and then I cut out the shape to mount it on board. This has given me some freedom that I have enjoyed and I have decided to call these pieces 'Paper Sculptures'. They are a progress on from the mainly spaced filled pieces of the past. Also there is another chance to escape from the mosaic patterning that has dominated a lot of previous works. I will be using this style for a while, but I have not left behind the former styles of my work. Even painted pieces could make a comeback!





















1. Tide - This is a collection of images that reflect the last 50 years of commerce. I am a great fan of the Cream LP cover art and it was great to use it.





















2. 37A - This is a collection of images from London and the title comes from the bus title a 37A to Peckham. I was reminded by a story that my Grandma told me of her journeys in London when there were only open tops to buses and when it rained the downstairs was always full of men and so sitting upstairs was the only the answer and it meant getting very wet!






















3. London 65 - This is the first time that I have used rubbish out of the rubbish bin to complement the piece. This time an envolpe and a chocolate wrapper. In case you are wondering the screaming mouth belongs to 80's artist and actress, Grace Jones, famous for thumping Russell Harty.






















4. Raygun 31 - Advertising, magazine covers, bar codes, use by dates. Raygun was a popular magazine in the USA in the 90's and is now defunkt. Here is another example of the graphics that made it popular and interesting.






















5. Congizable - The title comes from a cut-up of Recognizable. I like the random way of the words get cut-up and can be used as titles. Chewing gumwrappers, coke ads, Typography, more of that chocolate wrapper and some images of faces, one laughing.




6. Conversion - Peacock feathers, refrigator ads from the 50's, random text. It is a mix match of modern and 70's images.




7. OM-1 - Olympus the leaders in SLR cameras come out with the OM-1: 'Drawing down close to three decades of its existence has proven its ability with the demanding time test and the battering by professional photographers in the fields. Being the part of the nucleus of the total Olympus OM System, the OM-1 enables you to step into many new possibilities with ease and fun too, from photomicrography to astrophotography, from photojournalism to portraiture. With its many system components, the OM-1 permits an infinite range of photographic capabilities ... a camera that grows as your expand'.
This picture comes close to showing some interesting techniques to do with infra-red and colour cross processing, something that I guess is so easy with a digital camera and computer programme these days.




8. Gerator - This was an attempt at a slim but long piece that reflected the sort of images that go with skyscrapers. More use of envolpes and images from the 70's. A piece from the history of the statue of liberty. The title comes from Regerator and influenced by Ben Nicholson (more below).




9. New Sleeping Palace - The title is a reference to train sleeping cars of the US. A luxury car for the rich and white of the 1800's. The lucky stars are from 'Euromillions' in which we got two lucky stars but no other numbers. So near, so far! Part of the circles are from the work of Ben Nicholson part of the Cornish artists. Here is an another example of his work:
Another influence on my art, he died in 1982.




Did you spot Enoch Powell? No influence on my work but most remembered for his 'Rivers of Blood' speech. Controversial throughout his career, his tenure insenior office was brief. He held controversial views on issues such as race, national identity, immigration, and the UK's entry into the European Economic Community. I am more in favour of a Multicultural society myself. no dream, a future in the making. The Beatles wanted to put Hitler on the cover of Sgt. Pepper, but were talked out of it!
More art to come in this style and more backlogs soon!