Thursday, May 24, 2007

sail away pretty dreams












Another batch of pictures, this time all with the same style. I have decided that I will be taking a break from this style for a while and returning to the moasic patterning that I am better known for. I will be producing a piece for Easter and some requested pieces from friends.






1. 'UMU' - Interesting title which comes from the drum. I have been using a lot of photographic magazines in my 'Schwitters world of collage' and this is shown in the three images of the young lady posing to show the different styles in posing and lighting effects.





2. 'Apparition' - This piece was constructed from distressed pieces of paper and is one of the smallest collages that I have ever done. To show the smaller size I have given it a 2 inch boarder on the mountboard.











3. 'MENT' - The title comes from the large print word from the right hand side of the piece. This was an attempt to experiment with using text only some of which reads: 'The background Mike explained: We k's face to bring out airly dark in the final ground and his clot rwise the effect will e background he need to use". Meaningless words? More of the text that was used was from Photographic magazines and so you get "You press the button" is this random? How random is random. For those in the know 'William Burroughs' Americian author used a writting style called the "cut-up technique". Here is a quote from the use of the style:
'...All writing is in fact cut-ups. A collage of words read heard overheard. What else? Use of scissors renders the process explicit and subject to extension and variation. Clear classical prose can be composed entirely of rearranged cut-ups. Cutting and rearranging a page of written words introduces a new dimension into writing enabling the writer to turn images in cinematic variation. Images shift sense under the scissors smell images to sound sight to sound sound to kinesthetic. This is where Rimbaud was going with his color of vowels. And his "systematic derangement of the senses." ...'





4. '83' - A collection of random images, a smiley girl's face and two parts of the top of men's heads. What were you doing in 1983?







5. 'Bringing Out' - Can you see the beauty in everyday life, from signs of the future to the edge of the world in the top right hand corner. Symbols are all around us to see, but do we really see them? The green world will decay brown over time like the leaf on the plate. All images become blurred.






6. 'November' - A small piece using modern postage techniques. I like the phrase '..make a mistake'. It is an invite for us to make a positive mistake in life or in art? Is life art? I like to think that you can not make a mistake in art as all mistakes are part of life and therefore are art.






7. 'Creating better Edges' - In this black and white piece, there is a picture from Brighton at the bottom see if you can spot it. Upside down windmills ala 'Jack and Jill' and railway tracks as Brighton has many stations. The face of the girl is from a hairdressing magazine and she looks like the actress Jan Francis, better known as 'Penny' from the BBC Romcom 'Just Good Friends': Here is a picture of her, see what you think?






8. 'Primos' - This title is taken from the name of a cafe, but I was unable to find it on the internet. Local food for local people, I guess, would there be many Greasy spoons on the internet? Primos means from the Spanish 'Cousins' so I guess this place is run by a family. At least you know that you can get 'Tizer' there!
Tizer was first launched in 1926 by Fred Pickup of Manchester.






9. 'Pianogirl Skyline. Images from the early 80's make up most of this picture and I am using the same style as 'Treasure Map Skyline' for which I know I have one fan of my skylines! The face has been cut in half to show the two sides to a personality but also the use of the left and right hand side of the brain when playing the piano.






10. 'Sail away pretty dreams' - This is my favourite piece in this style and series. The large sail in the middle of the picture is use to represent the fact that in your mind you can sail away with your dreams. Lots of images in this picture come from a decorating magazine and their use is show the different ways of seeing colour in your memories and dreams. I have also used parts of other paintings by artists to show that Art can be used in the same way as modern Pop music to re-recreate a new fresher piece. One day someone will cut-up my art and make it into something new, I hope!






11. 'Windmill Face' - This piece started off life as a copy of the B&W picture "Creating better edges' but with the finding of 'found images' in my art I turned it into a face. I am not sure if I was trying to be too cleaver or not.






12. 'Align = "Left"' - The final piece in this series and it closes a chapter. Made from scraps left over from previous pieces and contains a central image of a girl in the shower with goggles on. Modern computer art crashes head on with the antique world of painted art and styles. Hear endth the verse and chapter.

I am please with this selection of March work and I will be returning to the previous world of the mosaic in the very near future. I hope that you have enjoyed this change in style, it is not gone but not forgotten....