Thursday, May 24, 2007

8 More pieces from Jan 06

There is always a need to refine your style and to work on new approaches. I have taken some inspiration from the Music Posters of the 1960's. I am talking late 60's what was known as the 'Psychedelic phase'. There was a lot of use of images from the 1930's and victorian period used in the construction of those unique pieces of poster art. Art Nouveau/Art Deco had its influence as well. I have taken some of the geometric shapes from those pieces and applied them in my recent work. Also I am not relying on the central human image as much as I was and these first 4 pieces will show.







Ancient Symbol - For Sale - £20

This relic was dug up from the ground and cleaned up. The new symbolism of my work, represents the ground that it has laid in. Browns and dirt colours provide the atmosphere.




King of the Rumbling Spires - Marc Bolan a legend in glamrock history and a chance to expand on the 'fan shapes' developed in the previous work. The contrast in colours represent the fun element in Bolan's songs, 'King of the Rumbling Spires' being an example.


Russian Egg with French 1954 stamp -For Sale - £35


This was a chance to produce something that didn't rely on the human form. The white(ish) pieces of the fan shape come from a diagram about the channel tunnel construction. There is no connection between the stamp and the egg, its only for effect.



Russian Iconic Icon with Christmas 3d Stamp -For Sale - £30


The Russian Icon is taken from the collection that is housed at the Kremlin. I have added the Christian element by adding the Christmas Stamp. The circles within circles to create the fan effect has come to the full in this piece. This is the sort of direction that I would like my work to take over the next couple of months.



Maya Icon -For Sale - £25
Having been to Mexico a few years back, I have met people of the Maya Tribe and found that they have little or no neck. This interest in the Maya Tribe has continued with me and I therefore decide to make one of them into an icon. I did not take this picture, although I wish that I had.

Rubal Khali - For Sale - £35
This means vast dessert or empty quarter in Arabic. The map behind the boy's head makes up most of that area.






Sexy Senior Citizen - For Sale - £35

This picture shows that barbecues are the same the world over and its usually the dad's that are in control. In this picture the 'senior citizen' is cleaning up his barbecue after a busy day with the family.





Half Man/Half Circles - For Sale - £40

Black and white shows its face for the first time and will do from now on thanks to my collection of photograph books, there are a lot of black and white images that I can use. This one is from 1981 believe it or not. The circles are made up from the diagram about the channel tunnel again and a cartoon about the american civil war.